Skip to main content

Knocked Up x2

It has been nearly three months since I last posted, but for good reason. I am pregnant. With twins. And we wanted to keep it under wraps until we had a bit more clarity. But, yesterday, we went social media official so, it only seems appropriate to finally blog about the first 15 weeks of my twin pregnancy.

On April 11, 2017, we transferred two of our remaining eight embryos in a frozen embryo transfer (FET) procedure. On April 16, 2017 (at 5dp5dt), I took my first at home pregnancy test and it was positive! Now, as many of you know, we are not strangers to a positive pregnancy test so, we were very skeptical and cautious. On April 20, 2017 (at 9dp5dt) I had my first beta hCG test and it came back positive with a reading of 158.82. Two days later it had appropriately doubled to 417.41. This was a milestone for us. We had never had doubling beta hCG numbers. With this, we scheduled our first ultrasound for May 2, 2017. That ultrasound revealed two gestational sacs. The following week, we had two heartbeats. A huge milestone for us.

Things were looking great until our twelve week ultrasound. We have always had one baby measuring a little behind, but our doctor was never concerned. But, the NT scan would kick up a few areas of concern. We had been meeting with a very nice doctor, but we had been trying to get into the private hospital associated with the company I work for. Meanwhile, we had the NT scan with our original doctor at 11w5d and she said both babies had normal NTs and there was nothing to worry about. We finally got booked for a scan at twelve weeks with he private hospital, the day before we were leaving for summer vacation, so we took it. They repeated the NT scan and said the NT on the smaller baby was elevated at 4mm. So, talks of invasive testing ensued, talks of termination when an inevitable chromosomal abnormality showed up, and talks of "at least you'll still have one healthy baby." I was livid. And upset. How could one doctor tell us everything was fine and the next doctor, two days later, tell us we will have to terminate one baby? It was a whirlwind of information, but it boiled down to us doing a chorionic villus sampling (CVS) test, which I will post about in a separate post. But, today, I am 15 weeks and 1 day pregnant with twins.

Bonus: (1) I will be posting a lot of things here in the next few days/weeks. I have some posts about morning sickness, CVS, traveling while pregnant, etc. (2) Now that we're "out" updates on the pregnancy will continue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7dp5dt

I have been reluctant to post because I am not going to be sharing any type of pregnancy news via this blog until we hit 12 weeks should a pregnancy occur. However, I'm also itching to write about my post FET experience. Mainly my symptoms. But, keep in mind MANY of the symptoms I have been having can be related to the hormones I am on. I am on estrogen patches and progesterone (progesterone in oil injections and Crinone).

First, a quick infertility lingo lesson for those of you who are not immersed in it on a daily basis. FET = frozen embryo transfer dp = day(s) past dt = day transfer beta = blood pregnancy test that shows the level of hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) PIO = progesterone in oil (injection).

0dp5dt
The day we got home from the transfer I had some cramping on and off, but it was very similar to before the transfer. This could probably be attributed to the progesterone. When it was time for bed I felt like I had to pee a lot. I got up and did not pee much and then f…

From Two Lines to Miscarriage

A few weeks ago, this happened:

I am pregnant. Yes, PREGNANT. With one little baby that had a heartbeat at my six week ultrasound. It has been kind of an emotional up and down because as is usual in the infertility world, things did not go 100% according to plan. I took a HPT on January 29th, 4dp5dt, and it was negative. I expected it to be negative, it was WAY too early to test. But the next morning I decided, hey, let me do this again because I've now gone down the rabbit hole. After a few minutes I checked the test and there was another line. ANOTHER LINE?!? I have never seen two lines on a pregnancy test in my life. This one was a squinter and it barely showed in a picture I took with my phone, but Pants and I agreed, this was a positive test. I then pulled the one from the night before out and sure enough, there was a second line. We then went a little pee on a stick crazy, but I got the confirmation I needed when I took the Clearblue Digital with Weeks Predictor and I got a …

Pants + Me: A (Shortened) Love Story

On this Valentine's Day I cannot help but think back to Valentine's Day 2010. The first Valentine's Day Pants and I spent together. Unfortunately, this was not a happy, exciting first Valentine's Day, but a forced attempt, on Pants' part, to make me happy. We had broken up a few days beforehand, but I had been planning a Valentine's dinner so, he was nice enough to join me for dinner. We had met that previous August in graduate school at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota. He was a second year TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) graduate student and linguistics TA. I had just begun my first year. The first time I met Pants he had this giant afro and no facial hair. A few weeks later he had cut his hair and grown out his beard. I did not even recognize him. We became quick friends and began hanging out with other friends while on campus. One day I pretended to need help on my linguistics homework (that particular day I did not need help, everyday a…